Ofqual has recently published a consultation on designing and developing accessible
assessments and a related news story. The proposed guidance will support awarding organisations to
design and develop assessments that meet Ofqual’s rules on accessibility. Students with particular
backgrounds, needs and disabilities are among those who stand to gain. The draft guidance includes
• avoid unnecessary burden on Learners when measuring the assessment construct
• use accessible, clear and plain language in producing assessments to avoid any
• design and develop accessible layout
• use source material, context, images and colour in ways that maximise accessibility
• design and develop assessments to meet reasonable adjustments required by disabled
students including those using assistive technology
Ofqual is keen to get views from a wide range of respondents, including SEND organisations, on the
content and style of the proposed new guidance.
The consultation is open until 11:45 pm on 24 January 2022.